Friday, March 15, 2013

We Should Have Cake

A February birthday with red velvet cake and cream cheese frosting
   And tomorrow, yellow cake with chocolate frosting
A tradition I have started, or at least I hope
   Of people who work side by side
And we don't even know their birthdays
  
When I was a little girl, all the important times had cake
   Wedding cake, always white with white frosting
And you took a piece home and slept with it under your pillow
   To dream of the man you would marry
And mostly to get frosting in your hair

There was birthday cake with ice cream
   Cake at the baby shower
Cake for after the funeral service
   And company is coming (we called visitors "company")
Cake, and maybe cake just because someone could drop by. Who knows?

When did we stop having cake?
    Brownies and pie are good, pudding as the British call dessert
And cupcakes are so old they are new again
    But I miss the cake

Mr. Gandhi told me I should be the change
    I wish to see in the world
So I got things started, or at least I hope
    For in the midst of the ordinariness of life
We should have cake

Susan



No comments:

Post a Comment