Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Invisible

Yesterday one of my colleagues at work came up to me and said, "I just need to vent." To which I replied, "Okay." She told me she really, really, REALLY hates it when a customer is on her cell phone the entire time the transaction at the cash register is taking place. I said, "You don't like to be invisible." To which she replied, "Exactly." I asked her if she talked to those customers, asking them all the questions we have to ask, and she laughed and said, "Oh. Yes." Then we both laughed. Never let it be said that we don't engage with the customer.

Now let me tell you this, that the majority of our customers are lovely people. Cordial and polite and not inclined to make us miserable or cause us to believe we are invisible. It's a Susan thing, perhaps, but I believe that most people are good, and that if we put our best out there, it also calls out the best in other people. But I totally understood what my coworker was telling me, because I have stood in her shoes.

This got me to thinking if I sometimes treat others this way. Not making eye contact. Not smiling. Not saying hello. I hope I am not that person. I try not to be that person. But I think it's a good reminder so that I am more conscious of how I behave in my day-to-day.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment