Saturday, March 2, 2013

Nurture

"Never say anything about yourself that you don't want to come true." Brian Tracy

The front end of our store hums along nicely when we have people on the schedule who work hard, know their jobs and understand that we are a team. I occupy Cash Register 1, a pivotal area of the store where it all happens. Number 2 is a critical position, because it supports 1.

I usually start my shift a while after the store has opened, and having the right person as the opening cashier at Number 2 means that things got off to a good start that day, and I can hit the ground running. Having not the best person for that position at Number 2 means I can walk into some scary stuff and spend hours catching up.

I have a favorite Number 2. The other day she reminded me that she would be going home soon, and suggested I take my break before she left. I thanked her for reminding me, and agreed that was a great idea. Then I told her how much I appreciated her watching out for me.

She is a very jovial person, but she became quite serious and said, "You take care of all of us, all the time. Someone should take care of you." I found this quite dramatic, because for the past two or three weeks my latest daily intention is, "The people in my life nurture me. I draw new people into my life who nurture me." And she was nurturing me. I have noticed that a few of our other colleagues have followed her example, and they look out for me now, too. Number 2 had no idea, because I didn't share this with anyone. Until now.

Intention is such a powerful thing. Intention is different than wishing or hoping, because with wishes or hopes, it could happen, or not. It's different than prayer, or the way I remember prayer from when I used to pray, where God could grant my request or not. Intention is already happening. It's already in progress. I choose my intentions very, very carefully and with a great deal of respect, because with them I create my life. Intention is a powerful thing, not to be toyed with. Intentions are not negotiable. Once one is set, I won't be denied.

I could have run around all resentful, muttering, "I take care of everyone. No one takes care of me," and all that would happen is that the universe would agree with me, and no one would take care of me. How wonderful that I don't have to drag myself around like a martyr, rolling my eyes and sighing dramatically about how I have to do it all.

The people in my life nurture me. I draw new people into my life who nurture me. Yes. I do.

Susan

"Wishin' and Hopin'" written by Hal David and Burt Bacharach

No comments:

Post a Comment