Sunday, March 10, 2013

Bend

A couple of nights ago we had a storm. It was a lot of wind and rain (by southern California standards, at least.) I like lying in bed at night, all warm and safe and cozy, listening to the rain on the roof. The windchimes on our veranda were clinking. The next morning, the air felt all clean like it does after the rain. As I walked to my car, I looked at the palm trees I love so much, and thought of their branches in the wind, the smaller ones bending in the wind yet not breaking.

One of the secrets to peace in life is knowing how to bend. The happiest people I know are the ones who can stand firm when they need to, but they have the wisdom to be flexible. They bounce back from the storms, maybe a little worse for the wear, but they aren't broken.

I have been working on some Easter cards for the people I love. I found an envelope the perfect size to put all the cards inside, for a little family of four. It has preprinted in red letters the caution "DO NOT BEND." It also has printed on it that it is a photo/document mailer, so I guess if someone at the post office wanted to get all crazy, it might not be good if a photo or a document got bent. But these are just greeting cards -- wonderful, decorated and specially chosen for each person -- but just cards.

So I decided to take the pressure off and write a little something of my own on the envelope. You know what? We as humans are not as fragile and breakable as we might think. And you know what is best for you in your own life, and in each situation. Maybe you should not bend. But you can bend if you want.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment