Sunday, March 31, 2013

Merry

My friend wishes people a "Merry Easter!" Don't you just love it? I told her the British say "Happy Christmas!" and she took that as the perfect reason to continue to say "Merry Easter."

One of my favorite entertainers of all time is the late Judy Garland. You may already know that she died quite young and experienced much sadness in her life. Her singing voice is distinctive. There is no one quite like her, although I suppose her daughter Liza Minnelli's voice is close.

How she has always made me feel, from the time I saw her in "The Wizard of Oz" when I was a child and even today as I watched the following clip of her and the great Fred Astaire, is happy and sad all at the same time. Not that she is being a phony; you know, pretending to be happy when she's not. But that she knew what it was like to be sad, but somehow being happy always won out.

Susan

"In Your Easter Bonnet" written by Irving Berlin

No comments:

Post a Comment