Sunday, March 24, 2013

Perfect

"Start out perfect and never change." Miss Piggy, when asked for her beauty tips

Because I thrive on variety, I wear my hair differently from day to day. I love headbands and scarves and barrettes and all that kind of stuff. Sometimes I curl it. Other days I leave it the way it is naturally, straight and smooth. On those days, I often am asked how I get it that way. Blow dryer? Flat iron? What products do I use to get it so smooth? How long does it take me to straighten it? None of the above, actually. I wash it, comb it and voila! It is the hair My Higher Power bestowed upon me when I was dropped to this planet.

I am old enough to have partaken of the "curly perm" fad of the 1980's, when those of us with straight hair spent good money and a few hours in a salon to have curly hair. Now the pendulum has swung, and straight hair is in style. So women with curly or wavy hair straighten it.

It is fun and I think wonderful to keep up with the current trends. Especially as we women get older, nothing dates us faster than having a look that screams, "1985 called and wants its hair back!" But fashion and trends also walk a fine line which for some women becomes self-loathing.

The beauty industry, of course, has a vested interest in making us and keeping us unhappy with our appearance. It hurts my feelings to hear women talk about how much they hate their hair, their hips, their nose, any part of their bodies. It can become serious, too, with body image problems and eating disorders.

I think Miss Piggy nailed it. We all, each one of us, start out as perfect, beautiful babies. And we should never, ever change.

Susan

"The Way You Look Tonight" written by Dorothy Fields and Jerome Kern



No comments:

Post a Comment