Thursday, March 14, 2013

Airy Fairy

Your pessimism hangs thick in the air
      I find it hard to breathe
And even after you have left
      It lingers on my hair and clothes
Like the stench of cigarette smoke
      From someone who cares more about
A habit than the people who need to breathe

You are proud of your glass-half-empty attitude
     And maybe it gives you comfort
To know that since you expect nothing,
     You will never be disappointed
You smirk at me with my airy fairy
     Notions of a better day
As I drink from my half-full glass

You mistake my sweetness for stupidity
     And my kindness for weakness
You find me naive and hopelessly hopeful
     But you don't know me, not really
Or you would know that there were days
     All I had was hope, and there were nights
 I lay awake waiting for the morning light

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment