Saturday, March 9, 2013

The House at the End of the Road

Thirty-some years ago I had a very vivid dream about a man with no face. It was Christmas time. I was wearing a long, red and green plaid skirt with a sweater. The man who stood next to me loved me very much, and I loved him. We were greeting guests who had come to our home for a Christmas open house. It was important to me that we not just have a party during the evening, but an open house throughout the afternoon and evening, so guests could come and go as they pleased, because the holiday season is such a busy time. We wanted to include everyone, friends and family and neighbors and colleagues from work. I don't know why this part was so important, but it was. Bayberry candles burned. Christmas music was playing. Our home was beautifully decorated. A delicious buffet of food was displayed. I was happy and warm. It was one of the most wonderful dreams I have ever had. When I was married, we had some glorious Christmases. Yet there were a few times when I looked at my husband at the time and thought, "You're not the man with no face."

Wednesday night I had a dream, and the man with no face appeared again. He loved me very much. I was happy and warm. We lived in a cottage-type house at the end of a circular road. In my dream, I thought of this home as the House at the End of the Road.

The next day, Thursday, I was channel surfing on the radio. Some people channel surf the TV. I do it to the radio. As I was searching for a different station, I heard the old Boys II Men song, "The End of the Road." I shared this story with my niece. That night, I worked the closing shift at work. It was late when I finished, and I looked at my phone and saw a message from my niece. She told me "The End of the Road" was on American Idol.

"The End of the Road" written by Kenneth Edmonds, Antonio Reid and Daryl Simmons.

Susan



No comments:

Post a Comment