Saturday, June 5, 2010

We Become What We Behold

"I wouldn't have seen it if I hadn't believed it." Marshall McLuhan

I was thinking about three different people (two women and a man) that I have known at different times in my life, and the one thing they had in common. They feared their spouses would cheat on them. In each one of these cases, their fears were totally unfounded, so much as to be almost irrational. Nothing their spouses did or said changed how they felt. No amount of reassurance, no past track record of fidelity and integrity, made a bit of difference. And in all three cases, their spouses did eventually cheat on them. A self-fulfilling prophesy. It was their worst fear; yes. But they believed it so firmly and were so invested in it, it is my opinion that in some way they made it happen.

Our minds are very powerful. What we imagine, fear, dream, believe at our very core...that is what we bring to pass in our lives. It's not some sort of magical thinking, but it puts us in the driver's seat in a real way. If we are ever to have the life we want, we must believe that it is ours.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment