Monday, June 28, 2010

Send Me No Flowers

In elementary school, we had special subjects like Music and Art once a week. The Art teacher went from class to class, school to school. During one Art class, the teacher angrily yelled at us and it was very scary. I don't recall what happened, but I do remember the sick feeling in my stomach and also knowing that he was being unfair. I understood the difference between being corrected for something wrong, and just getting dumped on, and he definitely dumped on us. The next week as Art class approached, some of us were talking about how he might behave. We weren't looking forward to it.

Art class began and he was sweet as pie; overly nice to be exact. He also brought us treats. But he never mentioned how he had behaved or said he was sorry. It all seemed so artificial to me, and I remember thinking, "Why is he pretending like everything is supposed to be okay now?" Now I guess I could have cut him a break. At least he understood he was in the wrong and was trying to make it up to us. We were just little kids, but we weren't stupid. Trying to buy us off with some cookies. Even children deserve respect.

I used to work in a large office of all women and whenever the florist made a delivery, one co-worker would invariably shake her head and say, "Oh, he's been bad." Flowers are wonderful, and a beautiful bouquet of roses can make you feel very special. But not if they are a substitute for something else. Remorse is fine. But respect is best.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment