Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Change

"Adapt or perish, now as ever, is nature's inexorable imperative." H. G. Wells

I love to text message on my phone and actually prefer it to a phone conversation for quick communication. I have heard people my age (and younger) talk about how impersonal it is, how awkward it is to use the thumbs, how weird the abbreviations like IDK and LOL are. One man said isn't "OK" short enough; do you have to shorten it to "K"? Sometimes we middle aged people can seem like old fuddy duddies.

In life, there is one constant. Change. Time stands still for no one. I personally don't want to be left behind. People change, and not always for the better. Things don't always go to plan, and we have to adapt and adjust if we are going to survive. Sometimes life just throws us a curve ball and we think, wow, how did I ever get here? A job lay off, a sudden illness, the end of a relationship, things we never saw coming. That's the time you have to use your creativity and find a way to go with the flow, and make those changes work for you.

You will need a sense of adventure, because sometimes those changes turn out to be a lot of fun, if you only give it a chance. Who would have thought back when I used to talk on a black rotary dial phone (on a party line, nonetheless) that one day I would be texting on a phone small enough to fit in my pocket. OMG!

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment