Wednesday, June 30, 2010

How Far Have You Come?

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome." Booker T. Washington

Some of my greatest treasures are things my kids made as they were growing up. I have some of them on display, and others are kept neatly away where I can go through them from time to time. I love doing it. Did you know that a necklace made of macaroni is more precious than anything at the jewelry store?

A friend showed me some notes her ten-year-old daughter made for her. Neatly printed with words of love for her mom, colorful pictures. Any parent would be pleased and proud. But what made these love notes even more meaningful is the fact that this child is autistic and has some profound learning differences. It took a great deal of effort for her to sit down and do this, and the result is visible evidence of how far she has progressed.

Are you less than enamored with where you are in life? Take a look back and see the hurdles that you have cleared, and it might give you a different definition of the word "success."

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment