Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Letter

I was lucky to have a father who made me feel special, who made me feel loved. He talked to me, and listened to what I had to say. I didn't have him for long; he died a week before my eighteenth birthday. I guess it wasn't quantity of years, but quality, that we enjoyed. I have some friends whose dads are still alive; these men are in their 70's, 80's, 90's and I must say I sometimes feel a pang of envy. But I have known many people whose fathers were absent, or emotionally unavailable, and in some cases, abusive. I had one of the good ones, and for that I will always be grateful.

The last Fathers Day my dad was alive, I wrote a long letter of appreciation and gave it to him with a card. I had no way of knowing that within a few weeks, he would pass away suddenly and without warning. No time for goodbyes. I was glad I let him know how I felt.

I envision people sitting with pen and paper, or at a keyboard, composing a letter to a loved one. This place that we create will give people the freedom to express their thoughts and the encouragement to not leave things unsaid.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment