Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Fourth of July

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism." Howard Zinn

In a few days, we will celebrate Independence Day. I love my country. But I don't support the war. I haven't from its inception. I was told by an acquaintance that if you don't support the war, you are showing disrespect to the troops. I have heard this idea before, so I asked her to elaborate. I normally don't discuss politics or religion, but she and I are both pretty calm people, so I knew we could do it without getting all hot under the collar. I listened to her, then I told her something about me she didn't know.

Both my son and daughter-in-law are veterans. While this war has been going on, my son spent two tours of duty in the middle east. He was in harm's way. I know firsthand the sacrifice the brave military men and women make daily for their country. Some make the ultimate sacrifice. They do this so that we can enjoy our freedoms, which include the right to speak our minds and to dissent.

Blindly following is not the American way. Never has been. I hope it never will be.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment