Wednesday, March 30, 2011

How Old Are You?

"The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been." Madeleine L'Engle

Our family was blessed two years ago when my son married a lovely lady with two daughters. He became a father and I became a grandmother for the first time. If you don't have grandchildren yet, just think of the very best thing that has ever happened to you so far in your life. Okay. Being a grandparent is way better.

The girls like to talk to me about the way their lives changed when their mom married their dad, and it means the world that they view it all as completely positive. My six-year-old granddaughter told me, "At first I thought you would be a regular grandma, then look what happened!" She then began to name all the things we have done together. She assured me that I am not like an old person at all! "You're like a 16-year-old. Or a 2-year-old. I don't know what you are!"

There is a part of me that has always been a little girl. That part has two sides. There's the playful side with a childlike wonder about life, then the other side that can pout and be unreasonably childish. I don't think I can have one without the other. So yes. I am 16. And 2. And all the other ages I've been so far.

What about you? How old are you?

Susan

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love this! I am DEFINATELY a TWO year old.....a five year old...a twelve year old.....sixteen.....twenty one.....forty .....and....eighty five! Do you think I have multiple personalities too? I love it...it is so true...we don't LOSE any of our ages!!!!!

    ReplyDelete