Friday, March 11, 2011

Calculated Risks

"I wouldn't go swimming in a tsunami." Loudmouth Birdie

My younger son played high school football. He was a starting player all four years. His positions throughout his career were tight end and fullback. There were many nights I heard the announcer say "Touchdown!" and then his name. His dad and I were always in the stands, dressed head to toe in our spirit wear. I waved a sign with his name on it. He had my support, one hundred percent. It was not without some trepidation, however, that I watched the game. Football is a very violent sport. He did sustain several injuries. None were life threatening. One did involve surgery. There were times my stomach was in knots, and there were occasions that I cried behind closed doors. But I did not allow my own fear to affect him. I wanted him to run out on that football field with full confidence. Some mothers won't "let" their kids play football. I strongly disagree. It is counterintuitive, I know, for Mama to allow Baby to be at risk. But he loved what he was doing, and for me that far outweighed any of the hazards.

He is now a strong, confident man of 26. Proud does not even begin to describe how I feel about him. He takes calculated risks, and I'd like to think I helped teach him how to do that. I don't ever want to see him or his older brother hurt in anyway; physically, emotionally or mentally. I still feel very protective of them both. I likely always will.

But just living every day is a gamble. Let's not take foolish risks. We need to take all the necessary precautions; wear the helmet, mouthpiece and pads. But once we've suited up, let's get out there and play this game we call life. Let's give it everything we've got. Let's hold nothing back.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment