Thursday, March 10, 2011

An Eye for an Eye

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves." Confucius

He was grumbling about some co-workers. "I'm not taking anymore of this," he said. "I'm going to start treating people the way they treat me." I didn't get all the details, but I heard him loud and clear. No more Mr. Nice Guy. Now I've heard it said that those kind of guys finish last. Certainly if people are taking advantage of you, you need to put an end to that. I am a big believer in healthy boundaries.

Say please and thank you. Don't push and shove. Wait your turn. Don't hit. Share your toys. Young children understand the rules of getting along with others, even if they don't always observe them. They also become indignant if they obey the rules and others don't. It's not fair! If someone messes with them, they retaliate.

Getting back at someone, giving them a taste of their own medicine, can be tempting. Do you give other people what they deserve? Do you treat other people well because of who they are, or because of who YOU are?

Susan

1 comment:

  1. OOOOHHHHH.....THis one is definately food for thought!!!!! I love what confucious say!!!!! This is all so very true....Do you treat other people well because of who they are, or because of who YOU are? OOOOHHH.....!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete