Monday, March 21, 2011

Who's in the Driver's Seat?

"Control your own destiny, or someone else will." Jack Welch

A few years ago when I was facing a decision, my oldest friend said, "YOU are in control of your life." I looked around, and on the surface it seemed I wasn't. But you know something? She was absolutely right. I was, always have been and always will be the one ultimately in control of my life. I can give up some of that control to something or someone else, but it is always mine to do with what I want. It was an important reminder and became my daily mantra for many months.

Now I'm in a much better place. I control my destiny not just in an abstract way, but in a concrete way. Being in control doesn't mean you have to be a control freak. I think being in control means you take complete responsibility for what goes on in your life without blaming anyone else. Total accountability and ownership for all of it is what controlling your destiny is all about.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment