Friday, March 18, 2011

There's No Fool Like an Old Fool

"As one grows older, one becomes more wiser and more foolish." Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Society as a whole has become more accepting of the May-December romance. The older man/younger woman combination has been around forever, and now we see older women with younger men becoming more common. I read a tongue-in-check piece which gave a formula for determining if your May-December relationship would be socially acceptable. Take the age of the older person and divide by 2. Add 7 years. That would mean a 60-year-old man could date a woman as young as 37 without anyone getting all flustered. I think that marriages and long-term relationships are challenging at best, and if two people love each other, we should for the most part leave them to their happiness.

As we get older, we should have learned from our mistakes. With age should come wisdom. It's just smart to take to heart some of the lessons you've learned along the way and use them for your own betterment. As I've grown older, I have become more willing to take risks and to be a little reckless. Really what I have I got to lose? I am less self-conscious than I was as a younger woman, a lot less scared of someone laughing at me. I kind of like being a walking contradiction, a woman wise enough to know when to be foolish.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment