Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Refrigerator Soup

"A first rate soup is more creative than a second rate painting." Abraham Maslow

The other day someone said to me, "I can't imagine YOU ever having low self-esteem." We both laughed and I took it as a measurement of how far I've come. Back when I used to argue for my limitations and put myself down, I was speaking with my now deceased mother-in-law. I said, "I'm not creative." Now she was never one to offer lavish praise, but she responded immediately, "Yes. You are. You're a very creative cook." I thought about that for a second and had to admit she was right.

I am fairly confident I could walk into any kitchen and no matter how bare the cupboard might be, I'll bet I could come up with something delicious. In fact, some of my best soups over the years started with a tour of the fridge and freezer. I'd gather up what I could find, a little of this and a little of that and that refrigerator soup was very good. Some of that comes from the fact that I hate waste and I don't like to see leftovers just sit there and spoil.

Maybe all of us would admit we are creative if we look at it differently. Creativity is all about taking what is already there and doing something with it, not letting anything we have go to waste.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment