Monday, November 5, 2012

Election Day

He was my first. I was just a girl of 18. His name? Jimmy Carter. The first time I ever voted was in the 1976 Presidential election. To my American readers: who was your first? Is this election your first?

When my grandmothers were born, women were not permitted to vote in our country. Even today, under the guise of being concerned about "voter fraud," some would deny others this right. To me, it is a right and a privilege and a duty. It seems disrespectful to suffragettes who worked so hard to make sure I could vote, not to do so.

I have already voted, since I am a mail ballot voter. I hope you will do the same, even if it's for "that other guy."

Susan

4 comments:

  1. It was John Anderson for me. It was a bit of protest vote: I liked Jimmy Carter, but I thought he was wrong to reinstate Selective Service registration. More importantly, I knew he couldn't win and that a Reagan presidency was inevitable.

    I've voted in every presidential election since, and most of the off-year elections. This year I voted at the town clerk's kitchen table. It makes me a little nervous, but she seems trustworthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John Anderson. There is someone I had forgotten. Although, Kevan, I like the idea of a protest vote.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a cartoon I enjoyed at the time in which a guy earnestly complained about how he was having such a difficult time choosing between Carter and Anderson...and his friend responded with equal seriousness, listing the points in favor of each presidential candidate. But it turned out the guy was trying to decide whether to put a poster of Linda Carter or Loni Anderson up on his wall. :)

      Delete
  3. Funny! I Googled Carter and Anderson, the women, and found they starred together in a 1982 TV show called "Partners in Crime." Now that I don't remember at all...

    Susan

    ReplyDelete