Thursday, November 29, 2012

A Christmas Shopping Story

Today I was off work, so I did some Christmas shopping. Mostly for my three grandchildren, but a few small things for other people. The items I bought were at a  reduced price, and I have a rewards card for that store. And a coupon. So while I didn't go overboard, and I did get some good deals, the total caused me to blink just a little.

When I arrived home, I found a check in the mailbox for me. It was my reimbursement for working at the polls on election day. I knew it would be coming, but wasn't really thinking about it. When I opened the envelope, it was for a larger amount than what I expected, because I was expecting the amount for a "clerk," which is what I was that day. As it turns out, because I went through the training to be a touchscreen operator, even though that wasn't my position that day, I get the higher pay.

The check was for $2 more than what I spent shopping today. Pretty cool, huh? It's little things like that, that just make my day. And pink Legos. My granddaughters are all about the pink Lego Friends. And I am, too. I can't wait to play with them, and I know for sure the girls will ask me to play. I like just looking at the outside of the boxes.

So I got my check! And it was for more than I thought it would be! And it covered my Christmas shopping with a couple of dollars to spare! How great is that?

A friend said to me this past week, "If you won the lottery, you would probably still work at your job, wouldn't you?" And she was right. I probably would. I love to travel, so I likely would go on some nice vacations and surprise the people I love with some really cool stuff. I would probably visit the Galapagos a lot sooner than I would otherwise. But I don't think my life would change all that much, because I am already rich in all the ways that truly count.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment