Thursday, November 29, 2012

I Saw It In the Window

"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Have you seen the new film "Lincoln"? Great movie! I rarely like a movie as much as I enjoyed the book, but this film is even better than the book by Doris Kearns Goodwin on which it was based. What a horrible thing it was for our country to be so divided and for so many lives to be lost. Just like a dysfunctional family, when we fight among ourselves it seems so much worse that if we were fighting against forces from the outside.

So I think it was both laughable and tragic that some Americans, in the wake of the recent elections, signed petitions to secede. What would happen if we had another Civil War? I came across this on Slate  It is interesting reading.

Would I return to the state of my birth, Pennsylvania, out of loyalty? Would I stay in California where I have lived for more than half my life? Would I end up making a dress from the draperies? And how exactly would that work, since we have no drapes, but vertical blinds?

Susan


No comments:

Post a Comment