Friday, April 12, 2013

Wistful

Wistful wishes scattered across the starry night
     Tossed gently from my hands, just like the young girl
With one dream and the first star she saw that night
     Yet my dreams are many, and the stars are countless
And if I throw my bright wishes out into the dark sky
      Odds have it that I'll have some of those dreams come true

I gather my coat around me and breathe in the cool night air
      And exhale slowly at the moon, shining brightly back at me
The wind is at my back, and I feel a force stronger than I
      Propel me forward. Not pushing or hurrying me along
But guiding me at exactly the right pace, and I need only follow
     Like a reassuring hand at the small of my back, walking with me

I could turn around and walk against the wind, but why?
     Why make it a struggle, just for struggling's sake?
When the moon is full and bright, the walk seems so easy
      For I walk alone, for now, but not forever
And someone whose face I have yet to see
      Quietly bids me to keep on walking into the night

The stars twinkle at me, and I wonder who else
      Is looking at that sky tonight?
Who else sees the moon smiling down benevolently?
      Who caught my wishes as I tossed them into the air?
Whose hand rests at the small of my back
       As I walk alone into the night?

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment