Monday, April 15, 2013

Boston

"The golden moments in the stream of life rush past us and we see nothing but sand. The angels come to visit us, and we only know them when they are gone." George Eliot

Oklahoma City. Waco. Columbine. Virginia Tech. The Boston Marathon. All of these tragedies took place the same week in April. I feel guilty tonight, because I do so little to make this world a better place. I feel guilty tonight, because there are so many people who live with the threat of violence every day, and I do so little to help.

A dear friend's brother who lives in the Boston area was a spectator today at the Marathon, and he had his two little girls with him. They left before the violence started, so they are safe. I am happy for my friend.

But isn't my life more than this? More than breathing a sigh of relief that the people I know and love are safe, when others aren't? How is that okay?

I feel guilty. I don't want to be one of those people who wring their hands and bemoan the sad state of affairs in the world. I want to be one of the ones who makes it a better place.

This is not my most articulate post ever, but it needs to be said while I am still feeling it.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment