Sunday, April 21, 2013

Happy Hour

It has been very refreshing to have this weekend off. I was feeling very fatigued, the routine of work and school and work and school, et cetera, et cetera. Right now I am feeling rested and ready to go at it again tomorrow. Last week, it occurred to me that it had been a year since I had a vacation. Last April my younger son and I went on holiday to Nantucket Island together. A year is a long time for me to go without a holiday, although I know many people who rarely take a vacation.

I used to be a travel agent, and it gave me some wonderful opportunities to travel at reduced prices. I've been inside the Sydney Opera House, slept in an overwater bungalow on Bora Bora and cruised the Caribbean. There are many places I have not been and still many other places I want to see.

At home I am not much of a drinker, but I do enjoy a cocktail while on vacation. The swim-up bar is always fun, or a drink while sitting at the beach. I always feel like a very sophisticated, grown-up lady sitting in the hotel bar, having a cocktail before dinner. I have found that one of the ingredients of a perfect holiday is to make friends the very first day with the hotel bartender. Converse with him as if he is another human being, such as yourself, and not some invisible person behind the counter simply there to serve you. Call him by name, and let him know your first name. When he asks what you'll have, ask him the Susan question. "What's the best tequila (rum, vodka, whatever) drink you make?" Specify the kind of liquor, because just asking him what his best drink is doesn't give him enough information about you. He will like that, and you will get something really delicious, and not just the drinks on the menu. Tip him very, very generously. As time goes on, he will have all sorts of special drinks for you. He will anticipate what you might like, and will be looking for you.

You don't need to be loud about it, but it will get noticed, and the other people at the bar will say, "I'll have what she's having." Pretty soon, every hour will be happy hour. Your drink will be the exact strength you like. Before you know it, your margarita will have fresh squeezed juice in it, instead of that yucky sugary mix, and the best tequila, instead of Jose C., and perhaps even a Grand Marnier float. On the last day of vacation, go see him and let him know you are going home. Thank him for all the great drinks. And don't forget to tell the suits what a great job he did. This always has worked for me. And it's not because of the tips either. It's not about money, although obviously this is his job and he needs to earn a living wage. It's about recognition; recognizing him. And it's about giving him an opportunity to take pride in his job, to show off a bit and have it appreciated.

Even though I'm not in the travel business anymore, I am still a firm believer that everyone needs a break from the routine. Everyone needs to get away and see some place new. And everyone needs an hour, maybe two or three even, that's happy.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment