Monday, December 10, 2012

Serendipity

I am in need of some clothes, and lately I have been getting some great things at good prices. It is a tough time of year to fit clothes shopping in the budget, but I really am in need. Today I felt that I should go to Old Navy. The closest one is about twenty-five minutes away, in an area I don't normally frequent. I on purpose did not overthink it. I just did it. So off I went. I tried on some things at Old Navy, but didn't buy anything there. Then on the way home I spotted a new Goodwill store. Its windows were painted with pictures of Christmas trees and sparkly ornaments and poinsettias. Inside it was big and clean and well organized. It even had dressing rooms. I love thrift stores and secondhand shops and such. A lot of what is in my clothes closet and some of the furnishings in my home are used things that have found a new life with me.

For a total of $24, I got a pair of jeans, two tops and the most awesome skirt with butterflies on it. How cool is that? So it seems to me that the reason I went to Old Navy was not to buy clothes at Old Navy, but to run across this wonderful store that wasn't there last time I was in that neighborhood. The clerk told me it had opened last month.

Serendipity! A happy accident. An unexpected surprise as I was doing something else. Or not, if you happen to be one of those people who believe that nothing is accidental or coincidental. Kind of like you're just walking along, and all of a sudden here is this beautiful butterfly that lights near you for just a few seconds. Or how about a skirt covered in butterflies? Butterflies that don't flit away. Butterflies that stay. This makes me very happy.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment