Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Mean

It has always been my favorite, "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" with Burl Ives as the Snowman. You know, those Gumby-like creatures that move around, which was I am sure cutting edge technology for 1964. I was six years old then, so I would imagine that there have been very few, if any, Christmas seasons that I haven't watched it. The songs are the best. How can you not love "Holly Jolly Christmas"?

Last night I took a bath and got all cozy and sat down on the sofa to watch it. A few minutes in, we see baby Rudolph with his big red nose. His mother is shocked. His father appalled. Then in walks Santa, and he says he had great hopes for Donner's new son, but it just isn't going to happen.

Okay! That was it. I turned the TV off. Now it could have been that I had an especially challenging day at work. And yes, I was up about two hours earlier than I usually am. So I was tired and a little worn out. And I know how the tale of Rudolph turns out, but I couldn't even comfort myself with the fact that it would all be happy in the end. No. I am tired of mean people. I was annoyed with Rudolph's passive mother. Mean. I was hurt when his father said, "His blinking beak blinks like a blinking beacon." Mean. And Santa Claus? Really now! That Santa is just mean, which proves he is not the real Santa. I was weary and tired of waiting for happy endings

So, feeling defeated,  I went to bed at 8:10 pm and slept ten hours, and I woke feeling better this morning. I had my coffee, and now I feel great. And I am very glad that I recorded "Rudolph" because I know I will enjoy it when I'm in a better frame of mind.

We were listening to "Holly Jolly Christmas" on the radio the other day, and my friend asked me what a holly jolly Christmas actually was. I said to just think of your very best Christmas ever, and that is a holly jolly Christmas. Which I plan to have, even though there is sadness and badness in the world. I believe in my heart that goodness prevails.

But mean people? I have had it up to here with them.

Susan

"Mean" written by Taylor Swift
"Holly Jolly Christmas" written by Johnny Marks



No comments:

Post a Comment