Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Detour

On more than one occasion, I have been called stubborn. That is such a harsh word, isn't it? I prefer determined or tenacious, which makes it sound like a virtue, or perhaps even charming like the way I expressed it in I'd Be A Bulldog.

When I was younger, I had some pretty definite ideas about life. Once I get an idea in my head, it's full speed ahead. But life is funny. Sometimes the better part of wisdom is to give up. To let go. And sometimes the road of life offers me a detour. I can stubbornly stop and refuse to go on, or I can take the detour.

Years ago, if you would have told me what my life at 54 would be like, I would never have believed you. Not in a million years. But you know what? I am happier than I ever thought I would be.

I am still on my way. Still on the road. Just getting there another way. And hopefully if there are more detours up ahead, I'll save myself a lot of grief and take those detours a little more gracefully and graciously than I have in the past.

Susan

"Home By Another Way" written by James Taylor (As best as I can determine. If you know differently, will you let me know so I can credit the right person?)

No comments:

Post a Comment