Monday, May 20, 2013

Jury Duty

Thursday I have jury duty. I am fortunate that my employer will pay for up to three days of jury service. I have been summoned many times, for Superior Court in my county, and a couple of times Federal Court. But I have never been chosen. I will stop by the library and check out a book to take along. That is something to look forward to; some down time for reading as I wait.

A couple of times when I was self-employed, I did ask to be excused because it truly would have been a financial hardship for me to serve. But other than that, I don't want to try to get out of it. I would be happy to be on a jury. It's an experience I've never had and would like to have. One of the unique rights we have as Americans is a trial by jury. And I'd like to serve because if I was a defendant, I would want someone like me to be on my jury. Intelligent, fair minded, and a little on the liberal side. Okay. Maybe more than a little.

I am looking forward to Thursday. If nothing else, I'll get to read for pleasure, and get paid for having a day off work. But maybe this time, I'll get chosen. It would be my privilege.

Susan





No comments:

Post a Comment