Thursday, December 1, 2011

I Got a Name



The name Susan was second only to Mary in popularity for girls the year I was born, according to the Social Security Administration. From 1948 until 1964, Susan was in the top twenty every single year. When I was a kid, I wasn't all that fond of my name, precisely for that reason. How unoriginal my parents were, I thought. Such a common name. It would have been cool to be a Stacey or a Stephanie. But as the years have gone by, I have grown to love my name. I'm Susan, Susie, Sue, Suzie, Soozie and Sue Z Q. It's who I am. It is my name.

I had the option of having my maiden name automatically restored when I divorced. I didn't do that. My last name is who I am. It was my former husband's name, which I gladly took when I married him. Then it became who I am. It is my name.

During this time of year, we remember all the people close to us, with gifts and cards. But what about those who make up the landscape of our lives? The woman who packs our groceries. The man who collects our garbage. The mail carrier, who is overworked during the holiday season, delivering packages and Christmas cards. Certainly they would enjoy getting a little extra cash or a gift card or a homemade treat. Which brings me to another point. Do we even know their names? They have names. What a great opportunity Christmas gives us to introduce ourselves and then to discover who they are.

Susan

Lyrics to "I Got a Name" by Norman Gimbel and Charles Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment