Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Giving Thanks or Living Thanks?

She bubbled as she said,"You can wish me a happy birthday! I'm 51." I rarely ever find another adult as excited about her birthday as I am about mine, so feeling as though I'd found a kindred spirit, I enthusiastically wished her a happy birthday. I told her that I was 53, and felt very lucky to be here, since some don't make it to be our age.

"Well, then you'll appreciate this story," she said. "When I was 34, I was diagnosed with stage 4* breast cancer. I was basically given a death sentence by the doctors."

"And here you are, seventeen years later," I said. She was the very picture of good health...shiny hair, sparkling bright blue eyes, and a glowing complexion. She was in a word, radiant. "That explains why you are so happy," I added.

She nodded. "Yeah. Even when I have a really bad day, I just get up the next morning and say, 'Okay. Let's try this again.'"

Happy Thanksgiving.

Susan

*Stage 4 is the most advanced stage of cancer

1 comment: