Thursday, December 15, 2011

When I Grow Up...

All my life I worked at jobs that paid the bills, but never had a real career, and certainly never did anything that gave me fulfillment or joy. Then I began to take general education classes at community college, after being out of school for over thirty years. I decided to work toward my bachelor's degree, without any real goal in mind. I just wanted to be on my way, but I wasn't really sure where I was going. I decided I could be getting my credits, and figure out a major as I went along.

A couple of weeks ago it came to be with perfect clarity. I am going to be a middle school teacher. It kind of surprised me. I never wanted to be a teacher, and frankly I wouldn't have had the patience when I was a younger woman. So now I am not only on my way, but I know my destination. It is very exciting to know what I want to be when I grow up.

Last night my dear friend/roommate had the radio on a classical station, and "Pomp and Circumstance" by Sir Edward Elgar came on. I visualized myself marching to get my college diploma, from the same school my younger son graduated from. "Pomp and Circumstance." They were playing my tune!

Susan

1 comment:

  1. I LOOVE this and I love the "compliment" ! Ha! And isn't that soooooo interesting that song came on...I haven't heard that in YEARS!!! YEs they were playing YOUR TUNE!!!!

    ReplyDelete