Tuesday, December 13, 2011

No Strings Attached

"There are two kinds of people: takers and givers. The takers eat better, but the givers sleep better." Danny Thomas

Gift giving is such a fun part of the holidays. Buying or making something special for those we love is a real joy. Many times the best gifts are not the ones that cost the most, but the ones that say the most. I love you. I remembered you. I know you well enough to know what you would love to have.

It's not truly a gift unless it's given freely with absolutely no strings attached. If you give a gift with the expectation of something in return, why that is no gift at all. It's currency. Some folks give, but their gifts come at a very high price for the recipient. An imbalance of power in the relationship. A sense of obligation. A feeling of being controlled. These can be subtle messages, and sometimes the giver is not even aware that he is conveying that message.

Are you a giver? I love to give, but lately I have been examining my motives for doing so. I have been picking up those shiny packages that I give to others, turning them all around and shaking them, just to make sure there are no strings attached.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment