Sunday, January 6, 2013

Glorious

In my last post, Kind, I talked about bad boys, nice guys and kind men. Reader Kevan commented, "Nice guys are often very kind, but kindness that doesn't rise from personal power is thin gruel." His comment inspired me to write this post. I thank him for it.

One of my favorite breakfasts is oatmeal. Sometimes called porridge or gruel. I don't buy the instant kind. Or even the oats called quick. Old-fashioned oats make the best oatmeal, or at least according to me. I don't use a lot of water, and cook for a short time, because I like my oatmeal kind of thick and substantive. No thin gruel for me. I add a tiny bit of real maple syrup or maybe some brown sugar, for a little sweetness. Cinnamon and sometimes nutmeg or cloves or ginger to make it spicy. Fruit and nuts is another good addition. So good. Sooooooo goooood.

Oatmeal is a delicious breakfast that stays with me for a long time in the morning, which is what I want. Oatmeal is a nutritious breakfast with a surprising amount of protein, which I absolutely need because I don't eat meat. Some women shy away from oatmeal because they think it's fattening. It's not; in fact, oatmeal can actually help us lose weight since that bowl of gruel packs a lot of nutrition and we are not hungry again for a long time. It just tastes so decadent that some girls think it will make them fat.

So, to me, a kind man is like a bowl of oatmeal. He gives a woman what she wants. He gives a woman what she needs. Old-fashioned to begin with. With substance. A little sweet. A lot spicy. Sometimes filled with fruity fun. Not to mention the nuts. Decadent.

"Food, Glorious Food" written by Lionel Bart

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment