Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Fly

The last time my granddaughters came to my home for a sleepover, we visited the beach that is a mile or so away. They had not packed swimsuits, and the water was pretty cold anyway. So we were playing in the sand, and my younger granddaughter was walking at the edge of the water. Then she fell down into the water, fully clothed. They both looked at me, taking a cue from what my reaction might be. I laughed and helped her up, and the three of us were pretty hysterical for quite some time. I thought it was so funny, and my feelings about it gave them permission to just enjoy it.

She was never in any danger. I am a helicopter grandma and watch them very carefully. I said, "Oh wow! You fell right into the ocean, fully clothed." For some reason the "fully clothed" part of it struck us as quite humorous, and we kept repeating that phrase over and over.

Right next to the beach is a beautiful playground with things to climb on and slides and swings. There is lots of grass there, and when she said she was all sandy, I encouraged her to roll around in the grass to get the sand off. It worked! Of course, her sister and I, both dry, also rolled around in the grass, too. It was just silly fun. It was the kind of day when it just felt good to be alive, to be together. The sun was very warm that day, so she dried out in no time.

Tonight I was thinking about that day, and I wrote this poem.

We walked along the beach that day
I love to see the children play
They laughed and shouted just like I
Used to do in days gone by

At the park there is a slide
And monkey bars, places to hide
I got in a swing, my feet up high
I felt that I might touch the sky

They like to see their grandma swing
I closed my eyes. If I had wings
I'd fly away, so far I'd fly
With those two girls. We'd wave goodbye

Nothing sad could touch us there
Like birds we'd soar right through the air
That swing can take me any place
The sun, the wind, upon my face

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment