Thursday, February 3, 2011

Regret

"You want to cry aloud for your mistakes, but to tell the truth the world doesn't need anymore of that sound." Mary Oliver

Regret is such a bitter emotion. It is good to reflect upon our past mistakes. Learn whatever lessons are there. Apologize to those we may have hurt. Make amends for what was done. Then move forward, smarter for the experience. There are no buttons in life that say rewind or even pause. Just forward. It's the only way we can go.

When I was married with two little boys, a casual acquaintance made the observation to my husband that I was really hard on myself. She asked him if I was that tough on him and the kids. He replied that oddly enough, I was not; that my patience and kindness for them knew no bounds. When he told me of this, he asked me why I could be that way with the three of them, yet be so harsh with myself. This conversation was a real turning point for me, and I began to take steps to be more gentle with myself. The unexpected result was that I have made less mistakes and messed up less without all that self-imposed pressure.

I guess sometimes it's easier to forgive other people than it is to forgive yourself.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment