Friday, February 25, 2011

Can I Get An Amen?

"Take this most seriously. A yes on earth is a yes in heaven, a no on earth is a no in heaven." Matthew 18:19

Have you ever sat in the pew of an evangelical Protestant church where people get worked up to a fever pitch? It's quite an experience. It takes a good speaker to push the right emotional buttons, but there's some interesting energy that goes on in the crowd, too. Folks are nodding their heads, and you start to hear "Amen!" as they encourage the speaker. It seems there is widespread agreement within the church. You might not actually believe what's being said, but there is kind of a holy peer pressure that sweeps you up, and you might find yourself nodding your head without realizing it. If the crowd is quiet, the minister may ask, "Can I get an amen?" Those less gifted orators need to brush up on their speaking skills, because a truly dynamic preacher should never have to ask for an amen. The word "amen" is translated "so be it."

Author Louise Hay says that whatever we say or think, the universe agrees with us. I have experienced this in my own life. Say I can't do it, and sure enough, I can't. Say I can, and it's amazing what I end up accomplishing. The apostle Matthew goes on to say that there is added power in having just one other person be in agreement.

My dear friend has a talent. Just this past week, she took bold action to start using her gift in a very real way. She was nervous and scared, but she took the first step of faith. Then the universe took over and the very next day, made her dream come true. I got a text message from her telling me it had happened. I texted back, "GO, YOU!!!!" then added "not surprised however" because I had known it all along. I believed in her. I had not been encouraging her just to be "nice." Frankly, telling someone they can do something when you really don't believe it is the opposite of nice. It's not truthful, and it only sets them up to get hurt.

You might say that she and I were in agreement on this one subject. She has a gift and she should share it with the world. It's her life, her show, and all I did was sit in the pew and say, "Amen!" So be it.

Susan

1 comment:

  1. AMEN and AHMEN!!!!!! THis made me cry. SOOOO true! "Louise Hay says that whatever we say or think, the universe agrees with us." Those voices have now become much calmer. YOU helped me sooo much! Believing in me and being my CHEERLEADER!!!!!

    ReplyDelete