Monday, February 7, 2011

Perfect Humility

"Do not walk in front of me; I may not follow. Do not walk behind me; I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend." Albert Camus

At different times in my life I have been the youngest "girl" in the office, the oldest employee, the wife of a successful businessman, a teenage fast food worker, a middle aged fast food worker, "just" the receptionist, the owner of the business, a homeowner and a boarder in someone else's home. Sometimes I've been treated differently depending on where I was in life. I've been kissed up to and kissed off. I've been looked down upon and looked up to.

Humility is the realization that all of us have equal value. Believing you are no better and no worse than anyone else. Accepting praise graciously, and not being stingy with genuine compliments to others. Assessing your weaknesses without beating yourself up, and using your strengths and talents as gifts to the world. Looking folks in the eye, walking through life with your shoulders back and head up, knowing you have just as much right to be here as the next guy. Apologizing when you're hurt someone, being quick to admit it when you make a mistake. Appreciating where you're been and being confident in where you're going. Acknowledging the people who have helped you succeed. Standing up for the underdog and sticking up for yourself. Carrying yourself with grace and dignity, and affording others the dignity they, too, deserve.

We are all in this together, are we not? Let's walk together in true humility, as friends.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment