Thursday, February 3, 2011

Trust

"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them." Ernest Hemingway

Some people have trust issues, rooted in childbood experiences. Therapy can be helpful for that. But some of us don't trust because we don't want to relinquish control of the outcome.

I have an amazing new hair stylist. She is an artist in the true sense of the word. She has a passion for her work and this uncanny ability to size someone up rather quickly and know just what will make them look their best. The first time I saw her, I told her to do whatever she wanted. She asked a couple of questions here and there, and I answered them but added that she should do whatever she thought best, because she was the artist.

After all, it's only hair. If you like to take things out to their worst possible scenario, what is the worst that could have happened when I put myself totally in her hands, trusted her and gave up my control? Baldness. This would not be the end of the world. I could buy a wig, wear a hat or scarf, or just walk around with no hair. I'll bet people would then be really nice to me because they would assume I had cancer and was going through chemotherapy.

I walked out of her shop looking fabulous. And here is why. My total trust unleashed her total creativity. I didn't hold back, so she didn't have to either. What a powerful combination.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment