Friday, April 9, 2010

Pleasant Surprises

Life is full of surprises. Some of them are actually more like horrible shocks, but there are delightful surprises as well.

I looked forward to being a mother, and when that happened, I was overjoyed. I gave it my all. Looking back, I made mistakes. There is no "rewind" button in life, but if there was I would do some things differently. But nevertheless, I did my best and gave it everything I had. I knew it was my job to nurture and teach. I tried to be a good role model, because it is especially important with kids to walk the walk and not just talk the talk. I taught them, but what really surprised me is how much they taught me. I appreciate the kudos they give me on Mother's Day, but really I feel like I should be the one thanking them. These two wonderful people are now adults and they continue to be the greatest joys in my life.

Did I get much because I gave much? Is that how life works? I don't know, but I would venture a guess that when we approach any endeavor in a half-hearted way, we don't reap much of a reward. But it seems that when we throw ourselves into a particular thing with everything we have, the rewards can be amazing. Surprising at times.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment