Saturday, April 3, 2010

Candle and Mirror

"There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it." Edith Wharton

When I went through a dark period in my life, I would fall asleep immediately at night, but was awake by 3 or 4 AM, unable to go back to sleep. How happy I was on those mornings when the sun finally came up. No matter how tough the day before had been, no matter how restless the night, the morning light can bring with it hope and promise.

Light gives warmth. Light illuminates. How I longed to be a candle, joyful and bright, passionate about life, but during this time my light was flickering and just about out. I was a mirror, reflecting the light of those bright luminaries around me. How grateful I am for those people.

Now I am a candle once again, for that is the way life goes. Up and down, ebb and flow, joy and sorrow. But as long as we are here, we can share light with those around us, and each serves a purpose, candle or mirror. Our light gives warmth and illumination for the journey.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment