Wednesday, May 23, 2012

People, I Am Going To Tahrir Square

I love Facebook. I first joined so I could stay connected with two of my nieces who live in other parts of the country. And it worked. I feel more a part of their lives since we are Facebook friends. I have maybe 40-50 friends, not a lot. My privacy settings are as private as possible, but still I never post anything I wouldn't want the whole world to eventually see. It just makes sense.

Facebook is fun. Facebook is also a very powerful tool. I thought of this today as Egypt is having its first democratic election for a president. It all started on Facebook; remember that? In February of 2011, a 26-year-old woman called Asmaa Mahfouz posted this:

                                        People, I am going to Tahrir Square

And with that she started a revolution. With that, she changed her world. Right now is simply the most wonderful time to be alive.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment