Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sisters

Former CNN reporter Campbell Brown has a piece in The New York Times in which she says the President is condescending toward women. Her husband (Dan Senor) is a Mitt Romney advisor. While it is entirely possible that has nothing to do with the price of tea in China (as my grandma would say) it does give me cause to pause. Or maybe, there is a job opening at Fox News (where her husband is a contributor) and she's ready to go back to work?

I am thankful I live in a country where the President can be freely and openly criticized, and Brown's high profile gives her a platform from which to do it that most of us other Americans don't have. Go for it. I think the President can handle it.

It's funny how candidates fight over us women like high school kids at the prom, wanting to dance with the homecoming queen. Thinking female people have the same concerns that thinking male people have, and we have some very serious problems in our country that all of us should be working on together.

Yesterday at work a customer, a gentleman old enough to be my father, called me "Sweetheart" and told me I was smart.  I didn't feel patronized, because frankly I am both sweet and smart, and I think he was a very wise man to recognize this right away. Or maybe he was hitting on me, which is concerning because he was 80 if he was a day...

Seriously now. Men sometimes feel like they just can't win with us women, that they have to watch what they say so carefully because we are overly sensitive. All Brown did was reinforce that old stereotype. And while she may have done her husband a favor, and while she may have done Romney a favor, she didn't help a sister out at all.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment