Thursday, May 10, 2012

Lollipop

My bank has lollipops. I rarely go inside the bank anymore. There really isn't much need to, with direct deposit paychecks, online banking and 24/7 ATMs. The lollipops are a big draw for me. Now don't get me wrong. I don't just randomly go into the bank to get a lollipop. I wait until I have official bank business to transact. And I never take more than one.

Mallory Kievman has invented a new kind of lollipop, the hiccupop. John Farrier of Neato Bambino wrote about this amazing thirteen-year-old. She had a bad case of the hiccups. She did some kitchen chemistry with apple cider vinegar and invented the hiccupop, which tastes delicious and also stops those pesky hiccups. How does it work? "It triggers a set of nerves in your throat and mouth that are responsible for the hiccup reflex arc," she explained. Hiccups are an unpleasant side effect of chemotherapy, and Kievman thinks her start-up company could carve out a niche in this way.

Mallory Kievman. We should all remember that name. She wants to be a doctor someday. But for now, inventor and entrepreneur will have to do.

Susan

"Lollipop" written by Julius Dixson and Beverly Ross



2 comments:

  1. Ha! One of my fave old songs! You find the most amazing stories!!"Mallory Kievman. We should all remember that name. She wants to be a doctor someday. But for now, inventor and entrepreneur will have to do. " Love this line!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a fun song. I heard it years ago in a Jazzercise class.

    ReplyDelete