Sunday, May 6, 2012

High Heels

"I think the best feeling in the world is leaving the house absolutely feeling so good about what you're wearing. It almost makes you feel like you have armor on." Tallulah Willis

My closet has a nice collection of high heels. Purple animal print, red cloth with a fake jewel,  teal with a bow, and the beaded silver shoes I wore to my older son's wedding. Lately I have been wearing flat shoes. Red sneakers, black ballet type shoes with sparkles on them, and black, white and gray flats with a little bow. Very cute, but flat. They fit my life nicely. My employer dictates what we can wear for footwear, for safety reasons. And as a college student, I dress casually so wearing high heels would be a little over the top.

High heels, to me,  have always represented power. I used to wear them a lot, and they shored up my confidence by making me feel powerful. No doubt today if I dressed in a suit, I would add high heels. If I was going out for the evening, I would put on a pair of high heels. But I think the every day flat shoes I wear right now reflect where I am, sort of vulnerable and not in need of any armor. We wear armor to go into battle, and I guess currently I have no wars to wage.

The title of this song is "The Way You Make Me Feel," by the late, great Michael Jackson. When my younger son was two or three, it was one of his favorite songs. We'd ask what song he wanted to hear, and he'd yell out, "High Heels!" See if you can figure out why he called it that.

Susan

"The Way You Make Me Feel" written by Michael Jackson



2 comments:

  1. Love it!!!!! Love how you lately have been bringing your "family memories" into your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ashley Girl! I am trying to share things that would not embarrassing for them. = )

    ReplyDelete