Thursday, April 19, 2012

Of Heroes and Heroines

Joseph Campbell is one of my favorite authors. His first (and probably most famous) book was "The Hero with a Thousand Faces." Many Christians, especially those who are on the evangelical side of the spectrum, believe their faith is quite unique. While I respect their right to believe as they wish, there are many stories and myths that are quite similar to that of Jesus. The hero is an archetype. The hero with a thousand faces, Jesus being (in my opinion) one of them.

I recently read "The Heroine's Journey: A Woman's Quest for Wholeness" by Maureen Murdock. A student of Campbell, Murdock wrote the book because she felt Campbell's work did not adequately address the needs of women. Campbell was still alive when her book was published, and she was quite anxious for his opinion. She didn't like what he had to say, but after reading her book, I must completely agree with Campbell.  He said, "Women don't need to make the journey. In the whole mythological journey, the woman is there. All she has to do is realize she's the place that people are trying to get to."

Already there. Isn't it ironic that we run around trying to get somewhere, when we are already there? I am a feminist. I believe that men and women are equal. I believe that a woman has a right to complete power over her own body. I believe in equal pay for equal work. I believe we need a level playing field for all people, female people and male people.

But we are different. Life is enough of a struggle from time to time, so why would I or any of my sisters want to make the arduous hero's journey when we are already there?

Susan

2 comments:

  1. "...agree with Campbell. He said, "Women don't need to make the journey. In the whole mythological journey, the woman is there. All she has to do is realize she's the place that people are trying to get to..."

    In Kal Bashir's version of hero's journey (2000 stages!), he talks about a New World Romantic Challenge and that she is representative of the New Self that the hero is trying to become. In fact, winning her over demonstrates that he is becoming that New Self. So Campbell is spot on.

    But Campbell is also right because the one that journeys doesn't have to be male - it can be female and the male represents what she is trying to get to.

    IF you count the number of stories with female leads, there are millions, so I do not think that this distinction between the genders is valid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous, thank you for your insightful comments. = )

    ReplyDelete