Monday, April 16, 2012

Hope

A few times, I've been in meetings or seminars and heard the "ice breaker" question: What famous person, living or dead, would you like to have dinner with? My answer is Sir Winston Churchill. What a remarkable man, who lived at such a pivotal time in history. He also had a great sense of humor, and what is a good dinner with a great man without a little laughter?

Churchill said, "All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

When I learned last week that George Zimmerman was in custody, it gave me hope. Finally, someone did the right thing. Tomorrow my dear roommate-friend and I will be mailing an envelope to Trayvon Martin's mother, in care of her attorney. It will be a pretty card my friend bought, something beautiful she wrote, some music her son recorded when he was a teenager, and my blog post, "I am Sabrina Fulton."

We've talked about the possibility that it may never reach her, because perhaps those who know her best will decide it's not helpful. We are okay with that, and it's because we believe that just the positive energy of doing it will reach her, one way or the other.

Hope. From us to her, with love.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment