Monday, April 23, 2012

Depth

Both my sons played sports as they were growing up. It took me to a new world, one I hadn't known before. Back then the kids were allowed to bounce the soccer ball off their heads, a practice which has stopped because of the risk of concussions. I remember the first time I saw it, I thought "How terrible..." but I am nothing if not supportive, so I kept my concerns about his brain to myself. (His brain is fine.) I am proud to tell you I know the difference between a perfect game and a no-hitter. I can appreciate a team having a deep bench. "They have a lot of depth," I will say, nodding my head wisely. When it comes to sports, I know things.

Depth. Our human relationships have depth. I have this theory that each person who comes into our lives does so for at least two reasons. For example, she might be your next door neighbor. He may be another dad on the school field trip. Those are the obvious reasons. But there is always a second reason the person crossed your path. It could be that you become ill, and that neighbor's father is a retired surgeon who gives you invaluable guidance and advice.  It could be that you would love to work for a certain company and that dad in your child's class knows someone doing the recruiting there. Networking. You know people who know people.

Now the people in our more intimate circle likely are there for more than just two reasons. I think it's a minimum of two. Hopefully our closest relationships are the deepest.

Last night my friend and I were talking about her career and a direction she might like to go. I mentioned the names of some of her clients and shared with her my theory. "Who knows why these people are in your life?" I asked.

My theory is just my theory. It has no science behind it. But it is rather interesting that this morning, my friend forwarded an email to me. It was from one of the clients I named last night, and it had a suggestion about something that just might prove to be a real bonus to her career. The client sent it at 10:35 last night, right around the time she and I were having this conversation. Interesting, no?

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment