Friday, April 20, 2012

Begin Again

"For what it's worth, it's never too late, or in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There's no time limit. Stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same. There are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you're proud of. If you find that you're not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again." F. Scott Fitzgerald

I am a morning person. I tend to think that we are hard wired to be early birds or night owls. I love waking up. I love my morning coffee, first thing. It is part drug (caffeine) part delicious hot beverage and part ritual. I am at my most reflective in the morning. I think all kinds of wonderful thoughts as I sit and drink my coffee. Sometimes things dawn on me (pun intended) that I had never thought of before. Of course, getting up early means that I fade out early in the evening, too. I have one night class, and occasionally I work at my job until 10:30 in the evening. I can function, but I don't exactly blossom at those times. Naps are my friend, but even with a good nap, I am no night owl.

One of the things I like about the morning is the promise that it brings. It's a new day! The only day I have, because yesterday is gone forever and tomorrow? None of us has any promise that we will even have a tomorrow. Today. It's a clean slate, where I give myself permission to start all over again. If I messed up yesterday, I forgive myself and move on.

I have started all over again many times in life. Sometimes the older we get, the more inclined we are to see starting over as some sort of failure. It's not. It's a privilege, actually. To be allowed, or to put it more correctly, to give ourselves permission to start over. Fitzgerald puts it perfectly when he says it is never too late to be whoever you want to be.

Today. Best day ever.

Susan

"Today" written by Billy Corgan


No comments:

Post a Comment